Feeling sad about the end of the Games? Read through our list of what made the Games great to reminisce about just how incredible London 2012 really was
- A Torch Relay which touched and inspired the whole country, with more than 14.6 million people seeing the Olympic Flame on its journey across every nation and region of the UK, passing within easy reach of 95% of the population. Watch the highlights here
- Team GB’s most successful Games in more than a century, finishing third in the medal table and exceeding the target of winning more medals in more sports than in Beijing, breaking four World Records in the process. Relive Team GB gold medal moments on the BBC
- Some of the most iconic moments in Olympic history, these will be the events that we look back at in sporting montages for years to come whether it was Usain Bolt claiming his legendary status, Micheal Phelps as the most decorated Olympian ever or just the incredible performances by Team GB. See some of them here.
- Record numbers of spectators at Olympic venues, with over 7.4 million people visiting venues across the UK. Over 2.4 million alone visited the Olympic park in Stratford. Outside the Olympic venues, more than four million people saw the Games at the Live Sites, over one million lined the streets for the men’s and women’s road cycling and 12 million people attended London 2012 Festival events.
- Record numbers of TV viewers. With a global potential reach of 4.8bn, up to 1 billion people worldwide watched the opening ceremony alone, with an average UK audience of 22.4 million. The International Olympic Committee said that almost nine out of 10 people in the UK have watched some coverage of the London 2012 Games.
- Breaking new ground for sporting equality, with London 2012 being the first Olympic Games where every single country had female athletes competing. Meanwhile, women’s boxing became an Olympic sport for the first time and more than 80,000 spectators watched the women’s football final at Wembley, a record breaking crowd for a women’s fixture.